Newsletter sign up

Sunday 27 October 2013

Dream of writing your own Epic Fantasy novel? Here's how to get started

They say the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step - and so it is with writing. 

I've been writing and publishing for over a decade now, but for years before that I had half a dozen ideas for epic fantasy adventures floating around in my head. I would seize upon what I thought sounded like a really interesting story line, write fifty (or even one hundred) pages before throwing it aside, bored and dispirited. It took a few years of this before I developed a few habits, and came to a few realisations, about what it takes to plan, write AND FINISH an epic fantasy novel.

So, if you are wrestling with getting past Chapter Three of any epic fantasy you start writing, or struggle to even get started, here are five pieces of advice that I wish someone had given me ten years ago (believe me, I have learnt the hard way). Keep in mind that although my advice is for those specifically interested in writing epic fantasy, some of what I have to say applies to any genre. 


  1. Commit to it. My father has a saying (that he was particularly fond of hurling at me when I was a teenager): "Samantha - there are two types of people in this world. Those who talk about doing things, and those who actually do them." Yes - he was brutal. However, I took his words to heart. Don't talk about writing that novel - do it. If that means scheduling an hour in the morning before work, or last thing at night before bed, then so be it. Let's face it, writing a 70,000 to 100,000 word manuscript takes time and commitment. But if you have a dream of writing that epic fantasy novel, make it a priority. Once you do, a funny thing happens: you get so caught up in the creative process that you start looking for excuses to get back to writing! What are you waiting for?
  2. Create a story idea without relying on stereotypes. This is a tricky one for anyone embarking on epic fantasy. Let's face it, this genre is full of trope and cliche. The wise, enigmatic wizard, the sly elf, the taciturn dwarf, the young boy who suddenly comes of age, the arch-villain who seeks to destroy the world. The risk when trying to be original, is that you reject anything that remotely appears to be an epic fantasy trope - and that in doing so you alienate your potential readers. Yes, while it's true that fantasy readers don't want to read endless rehashes of The Lord of the Rings, they also read epic fantasy because they love the genre and all that goes with it. What epic fantasy fans do love (and I should know, since I am one), is a clever reworking of the stereotypes. This doesn't require that you completely turn the cliches on their head, but rather that you subvert them slightly. For example, a strong female lead (I'm not just talking Xena warrior princess here but something more subtle), is very popular with fantasy readers; as is an antihero protagonist like Jorg in Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy. You can have wizards, apprentices, assassins and dwarves, but give them quirks that make them unique and memorable - which brings me to the next piece of advice.
  3. Remember that characters are the core of any good story. Spend time creating, and developing, your characters. I tend to write extremely character-driven stories. I love my characters but delight in pushing them into adventures that will make them change over the course of the story. When creating characters, I enjoy subverting stereotypes. For example, in my first book The Children of Isador, one of my main characters is a wizard. However, I make him young, flippant and more interested in seducing women than in wizardry. Coming of age is also a tricky one to put a new slant on, but in my current series, The Paladnith Chronicles, I have three brothers who suddenly discover that they the last of an ancient bloodline of sorcerers. The difference here is that they are all men in their early to mid-thirties, which makes this an altogether different story than if a naive seventeen year-old makes the same discovery.
  4. Plan your plot. One of the issues I had when I began attempting novel-length fiction, was to find an idea, or theme, that would last an entire story. I had an aversion to planning, so once I thought of something half-way clever I would sit down at the computer and start typing. The problem was, I hadn't thought my idea through - which meant that I came to a grinding halt at page fifty! The solution for this is to PLAN YOUR STORY BEFORE YOU WRITE IT. I know this sounds boring. You probably think (as I did) that this will cramp spontaneity and creativity. One of my favourite excuses was: "If I know the story before I write it, I'll get bored and won't finish it." Fortunately, for me, I realised this was complete rubbish. Planning your novel, before you write it, gives you plenty of scope to be creative, and - even more important - it allows you to see if your idea will actually work.
  5. Build a unique world. Excellent epic fantasy needs a richly drawn, believable world - and anyone who has ever tried to create one knows that this isn't as easy as it sounds. The temptation is to throw everything you know about epic fantasy - every book you've ever read, every fantasy film or T.V series you've ever watched - into your world. You end up with an overly ambitious, cliched setting that doesn't ring true to anyone. One of the reasons that The Lord of the Rings is so popular, is that Tolkien makes us believe that Middle Earth actually exists. However, if you actually study the geography of Middle Earth you will see that Tolkien was not overly ambitious with his use of landmarks, seas, rivers, lakes, mountains and forests. You will see that the temperature from north to south does not change drastically, and the cultures of those inhabiting Middle Earth change gradually from place to place (as in our world). Tolkien did his homework, and let's face it, few of us have the time, energy or desire to create an entire language for our new world. However, it's important to draw a map, create a history, detail the magic system, decide on the dominant religion, outline the social hierarchy, and decide upon the cultures that make up your world. If you skip this stage at the beginning, you will live to regret it! It's annoying to reach page one-hundred, only to realise that your readers don't have any idea about the use of magic in your world (other than wizards spout fire from their fingertips), because you don't have a clue yourself. How can you convince your readers that your world exists, if you aren't convinced yourself?
I could go on... But, I think the above five are enough to get you started with planning and beginning your epic fantasy novel. Remember the five keys: Take action, develop an original story idea, create strong characters, plan carefully and build an unique world. 

Best of luck with your epic fantasy adventure - and remember - keep writing!



www.indiwall.com








No comments:

Post a Comment