Newsletter sign up

Monday 22 October 2012

Are you a fan of traditional Epic Fantasy?


Upon reading the advice – write what you love to read – I began my first novel, an epic fantasy entitled The Children of Isador.

I wanted to include all the aspects of epic fantasy that I love – a great adventure, a quest, an exciting cast of characters whose lives are irrevocably changed by the events of the story, and baddies that are as fascinating as the good guys. I wanted to keep my epic fantasy traditional, and a bit dark.

Yet, there are a few aspects of this story that differ from the norm –  elements that I have wanted to see in my favourite fantasy reads. Unlike a lot of epic fantasy, which has a long and detailed build-up to the main action, this story starts in the thick of things. The enemy has already attacked and conquered – only a small handkerchief of territory remains. Things are looking pretty bleak for Isador. For an adventurous writer, this is a great place to start! I like to make the stakes high, and what better way to see what my main characters are made of than throwing them all in? I also have a fast-paced writing style. I don't rush the plot, but once you start reading, the story should sweep you along with its momentum. I’ve made this story as ‘epic’ as possible – to transport you to a rich, believable world and high adventure.

I initially published The Children of Isador in 2007 with Equilibrium Books, Australia. The printed edition had its own small success and the novel was shortlisted for the Sir Julius Vogel Awards in 2008 (for New Zealand writers of Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Horror). Deciding that I could improve it – I gave the novel a thorough re-edit and republished it as an e-book on Amazon Kindle in June this year. The novel has done a lot better this time round – due (I imagine) to its wider reach via Amazon and my changes.

If you enjoy traditional epic fantasy and a classic struggle of good against evil, The Children of Isador might be just your thing!

For just three days only (23-25 October 2012), The Children of Isador is available for FREE to download on Amazon Kindle (instead of $2.99 USD). Please take advantage of this offer – and if you enjoy the book feel free to post an honest review on either Amazon or Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment