Newsletter sign up

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Self-publishing - creating your own book trailer

One of the things I love about being a self-published author is there are a host of creative aspects - not just writing - that I can be involved in. For example, I draw all the maps for my books and although I hire a graphic artist to do my cover art - I work closely with him on the concept.

One thing I really enjoy doing is making book trailers.

I also write historical fiction (under the pen name Jayne Castel, www.jaynecastel.com), and had so much fun creating a book trailer for the novel Dark Under the Cover of Night, that I decided to do the same for my epic fantasy novel: Journey of Shadows. These are two very different books but I like how their trailers effectively highlight each novel's central theme and tone.

I think with a little creativity, it's possible for most self-published authors to create their own book trailer. You see some high budget trailers on You Tube, with animation, actors and loads of special effects - however these books are backed by big publishers who can afford to spend a ton of money on them. At first glance, it may appear that these slick trailers are best, but I feel that too many of them look like movie trailers. You're not selling a movie, you're selling a book! Aren't books exciting enough to stand on their own?

So, if you're thinking about making your own book trailer, here are some tips on making an effective one on a tight budget.

  1. You will need a video maker - many computers have Windows Movie Maker on them. I downloaded AVS Video Editor (and paid $37 for a one-year license)
  2. Remember that LESS IS MORE. Keep your trailer under a minute and a half - any longer than this and you'll loose your viewer's attention
  3. Write out a story board for your trailer, along with ideas on the types of images that would suit it - before you go buying images/video clips. 
  4. Once again, lean towards simplicity with regards to the storyline. Tantalize! Don't be tempted to tell the whole story, or to use your Amazon blurb either. Think of your trailer as a 'taster', something that will entice potential readers to buy your book.
  5. Avoid the overuse of adjectives and pumping your book up, without showing the viewer what it's about. For example: "An exciting, adrenalin-fueled adventure that will have you on the edge of your seat" tells me nothing and sounds cliched. It would be far better to use strong verbs to describe the adventure. For example: "Hugo must sail through treacherous oceans and battle armies of the dead, in his quest for the lost talisman." (not award-winning - but you get the picture!)
  6. Think of your novel's themes and imagery and highlight them through strong statements in your trailer.
  7. Use royalty-free pictures. I buy images from www.istockphotos.com but there are plenty of other image libraries out there. Don't be tempted to use pictures off the internet without having permission first, or it will only come back and bite you!
  8. Use video clips sparingly. I do use video footage (which I also buy off www.istockphotos.com), but I tend to be careful not to overdo it. For example, a moody backdrop with grass waving in the wind at sunset, or flying like a bird through clouds over mountain peaks work well with text. Subtle video footage, coupled with strong subtitles can be very effective.
  9. Use royalty-free podsafe music. I use www.musicalley.com - when choosing music I feel that instrumental, rather than songs with lyrics, work better. Finding lyrics that perfectly match your story is difficult, plus they can distract the viewer. It goes without saying that you should try to find music which best suits the genre and mood of your book.
  10. Use the 'animation' function for text - this will make the text slide in and off each frame more naturally, rather than static text, which can appear stilted and boring. Play around with the colours, font sizes and types to find the right ones for your trailer, but don't use more than two types of font as it can make your trailer look 'bitsy'. Keep colours neutral and, once again, keep the font-style in keeping with the genre and mood of the book.
  11. Use scene transitions. These help make your trailer flow smoothly - I find 'fade to black' and 'zoom in' or 'zoom out' work well.
  12. Finish the trailer with a close up of your book's cover, as well as information on where they can find the book for sale and your author's URL.
Here are examples of two book trailers I made for my novels. These were both created on a limited budget - and a fertile imagination!

Journey of Shadows BOOK TRAILER

 Dark Under the Cover of Night BOOK TRAILER

No comments:

Post a Comment