Newsletter sign up

Wednesday 6 November 2013

The Citadel of Lies - BOOK LAUNCH Part #2

Author Interview - SAM J. CHARLTON

Five questions... and answers



1. What were the inspirations behind Journey of Shadows and The Citadel of Lies?

I love the scope of epic fantasy, and after my first novel (The Children of Isador), I wanted to approach the genre differently. Rather than the classic 'save the world from evil' story, I wanted the plot to be more intimate, and the threat to the world more subtle and multifaceted. I've always been fascinated by the relationships between siblings (perhaps coming from a big family myself), which was what made me decide to centre the story around three brothers. And, although I like stories in which the hero/heroine discovers they are part of a lost legacy, I wanted Seth, Eni and Val to react to this discovery as adults - hence they are all in their early to mid-thirties when their adventures begin.

2. What do you think makes your epic fantasy unique?

I think my characters make my books unique - especially the women. Although my three main characters are male, it's the females who save the day on many occasions. Avalon Kingswathe, Nevis of Foresthill and Lady Cirinna Kaur are all unique, strong female characters who play a vital role in the first two books. I also think my books are tightly plotted, with cliff-hanging twists and turns. I like to write complex, multi-layered stories that surprise the reader - something I often curse during the editing process!

3. Your stories really focus on strong characterisation. Can you share how you create and develop your characters?

Although I do recommend 'interviewing' your main characters, as all the books on writing will tell you, I think one of the most important aspects to keep in mind is that your characters have to be recognisable as 'real people'.  You do have to exaggerate some qualities, to really bring a character to life, but I think a writer must keep in mind that none of us are what we seem. Even a strong person has a weakness, and even someone who appears weak can have a hidden strength. We are all full of contradictions, and good characters reveal this. They make us think - yes, we really are like that!

4. Can you give us any clues as to what the third book in the series, The Well of Secrets, holds?

Without giving away any spoilers for those who haven't yet read the first two books in the series, let's just say that things get considerably darker in the last book. The women play their most important role yet - both for good and evil - and characters from the first two books reappear...

5. You are a self-published author. Do you have any advice for writers interested in taking the self publishing route?

I think it's important that writers don't see self-publishing as the 'second rate' option. Even if your goal is to have your novel or series picked up by a major publisher, it doesn't mean that self-publishing is supposed to fill the gap between now and then. Do the best job of it you can. Many readers don't buy self-published books because they think they're badly written, unedited and full of proofing errors. In fact, sadly, many are. Commission an artist to do a good cover (I use DeviantART) and get a reliable first reader and editor. And get your book proofed. I am lucky in that my partner, Tim, is a first-rate editor. He can be ruthless - but sometimes he needs to be! The only quality control is you, so make sure your book does you credit. I always strive to make my books so polished that readers think they're reading a professionally published novel - it's not impossible, it just means you have to resist hitting the 'publish' button too soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment